The 2004 Twister 300 was a NASCAR Busch Series race held at Chicagoland Speedway. It was won by Justin Labonte in a thrilling finish. Mike Wallace ran out of gas on the last lap, propelling Labonte by and to his first career win.
|2004 Twister 300|
|Date||July 10, 2004|
|Pole Sitter||Bobby Hamilton, Jr.|
|Pole Speed||183.611 mph|
|Margin of Victory||.419 seconds|
|Average Speed||126.79 mph|
|Cautions||8 for 35 laps|
|Points Leader||Martin Truex, Jr. (+52)|
Qualifying notes Edit
- Bobby Hamilton, Jr. won the pole at a speed of 184 mph. Joining him on the front row was rookie Kyle Busch.
- Points Leader Martin Truex, Jr. started midpack in the sixteenth position.
- During qualifying, an inflatable orange promoting race sponsor Tropicana came loose and bounced onto the racetrack, forcing driver Todd Szegedy to dodge the apparatus. After the orange was removed from the track, NASCAR allowed Szegedy to qualify again, and he wound up 12th.
- The following drivers did not qualify for the race: Jeff Fuller (#88), Blake Mallory (#51), Jimmy Kitchens (#77), Carl Long (#07), Larry Hollenbeck (#62), Stanton Barrett (#91), Kevin Conway (#56)
Additional Race Data Edit
- Leaders: 10
- Time of Race: 2:21:58
- Average Speed: 126.79 mph
- Cautions: 8 for 35 laps
- Margin of Victory: .419 sec
- Most Spots Improved: Justin Labonte (+33)
- 1992 Busch Series Rookie of the Year Ricky Craven made his first Busch start in four years in this race, finishing eleventh in a research & development car for Richard Childress Racing.
- Billy Parker made his final Busch start to this date in this race. After wrecking 1/4 of the way through the race, he was released from his Rusty Wallace, Inc. ride, and has not participated in NASCAR racing since.
- Martin Truex, Jr. +52
- Kyle Busch -52
- Jason Keller -359
- Ron Hornaday -368
- David Green -368
- Greg Biffle -376
- Jason Leffler -419
- Bobby Hamilton, Jr. -470
- Michael Waltrip -570
- Mike Bliss -631
2004 Winn-Dixie 250
|1988 Busch Series race||Succeeded by:|
2004 Kroger 200